Who Should I Trust to Do My Taxes?

Are you curious to see if you can get a larger tax return by filing with a tax specialist rather than TurboTax or other online tax software?

Are you struggling to get your taxes done? Are you curious to see if you can get a larger tax return by filing with a tax specialist rather than TurboTax or other online tax software?

Well, then it’s important to make sure you know the different kinds of tax professionals out there. Not every tax preparer is an expert. There are lots of people who prepare taxes on the side but aren’t accountants or IRS agents.

“So, who do I know who to trust?”

Don’t worry. We have your back. Below we go over the different types of tax professionals and what you can expect from each.

Certified Public Accountants (CPA)

Certified public accountants are financial professionals that have passed specified state exams, received the proper education and have exceptional experience in accounting. This means CPAs can handle several financial responsibilities and planning—this includes preparing your taxes!

However, not all CPAs are experts on income taxes. Some specialize in other fields of finance, so you should verify that the CPA you’re looking to hire is comfortable preparing your taxes.

Enrolled Agents (EA)

Enrolled agents are tax professionals given special license and recognition by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). They receive this title from a special exam and experience working at the IRS for a minimum of five years.

EAs are the cream of the crop when it comes to tax professionals. They know more than most (even more than most CPAs)! However, they specialize in solely taxes, so if you’re looking for an accountant to help with other financial matters as well, an EA may not be the best person to go to.

Tax Attorneys

Tax attorneys are great at handling tax disputes and corporate issues. If you’re a business, it’s advised to have a tax attorney on hand. This is especially true as your business continues to expand or become more complicated financially.

However, tax attorneys aren’t the right option for individual filers. If you just need your taxes done, there are cheaper alternatives such as CPAs or EAs.

Tax Preparation Chains

And finally, the tax preparation chains are probably the most commonly used tax preparers for individuals and families. These include companies such as H&R Block and other big chain tax filing businesses.

These are often the riskiest as they don’t have seasoned professionals handling your tax returns. In fact, they’re less likely to catch deductions and credits you could have used to get a bigger tax return. They are also more prone to making mistakes on your tax returns. So, avoid them when you can.

How to Find a Qualified CPA and EA Near You!

So out of the four tax professionals mentioned, are you interested in finding a CPA or EA? If so, you have the power to choose when you hire a tax professional through FindaCPAtoday.com.

Check our directory today or read up on any of our FREE tax information!

About the Author

User Photo

Joseph A. Davis, EA, CDFA®BFA™


With over 16 years in the financial services industry, Joe knows his stuff. Cursed with the desire to be a serial entrepreneur - Joe is a real estate investor & managing partner for Davis Financial LLC, Utah Divorce Services and Davis Tax & Associates. He most recently became the director for Find a CPA Today. Joe is an Enrolled Agent, EA, & CDFA®, BFA™. He also holds FINRA licenses 7, 66 & 24. When Joe isn't trading, looking for new real estate investments or obsessing over his work - you can find him at home, playing with his children & probably mowing his lawn.

Previous Post
Will the New Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Affect My 2017 Tax Return?
Next Post
Top 5 Frustrations People Have Doing Their Taxes